Re: Control center and capplet merging

Il giorno ven, 01/07/2005 alle 14.10 +0100, Bill Haneman ha scritto:
> Luka said:
>

> I don't agree with your assessment #2 below, about 'same size'
> everywhere, or that Sans is always the right choice.  There are for
> instance special fonts (one is called 'Tiresias' and I believe it's
> free/open) designed for visual problems.  But of course one size doesn't
> really fit all.

No, was, just an example. I was simply claiming for a "one-click"
solution, just like the "this theme suggest a font" button on Theme
capplet.

Now, if you want/have to set the theme to High Contrast and you
want/have to increase the fonts size, you have to
     1. Open the Theme capplet
     2. Select High Contrast
     3. Close the Theme capplet
     4. Open the Fonts capplet
     5. Click on applications font button and increase the font size
     6. Click on window border font button and increase the font size
     7. Click on desktop items font button and increase the font size
     8. Click on terminal font button and increase the font size
     9. Close the Font capplet

Merging Theme and Font capplet, you will have to
     1. Open the Appearance capplet
     2. Select High Contrast
     3. Select the Font tab
     4. Click on applications font button and increase the font size
     5. Click on window border font button and increase the font size
     6. Click on desktop items font button and increase the font size
     7. Click on terminal font button and increase the font size
     8. Close the Appearance capplet

Instead, I like to see a tool to "switch to a different _set_ of
pretuned GConf key values (fonts, theme, dpi, sounds, background...)
just selecting one option in the UI"

> I think that an even better solution for this is a sort of "user
> profile" capplet that does something similar, but goes even further, to
> change the gconf/Xsettings defaults for a whole load of things at once
> (not just visuals).  This would be useful outside of accessibility,
> especially if users could fine tune and store these profiles for
> later.   So for instance, you could select the choice for "high contrast
> with magnification"  (assistive tech support, fullscreen magnifier, high
> contrast theme, different window manager behavior perhaps, etc.), or
> "high visibility" (high contrast, larger versions of fonts, using a font
> selected for easy visibility, simple background), etc.  Or "onscreen
> keyboard user", or ...

Yeah, something like this.

The only issue I can figure is: what should the system do when the user
will "unset" the profile? Switch to default settings or to latest users
settings?
A new tool will tempt people to try it: a Cancel-OK confirmation maybe
could be better then an autoapply+Close UI. Or autoapply+Revert+Close.

> Or "laptop user" (fonts/theme suited to LCD display, different power
> settings, etc.) or "presentation (1024 x 768)" with font and theme
> settings that look good when projected, etc.   And of course this would
> be ideal for shared logins like kiosks and libraries etc., you could
> lock down or hide most gconf keys and expose only the 'profiles'
> mechanism, or at least use profiles to re-set the system to reasonable
> defaults if someone tweaks things all weirdly.

Very funny.