Re: Control center and capplet merging

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 15:36 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:

> The only issue I can figure is: what should the system do when the user
> will "unset" the profile? Switch to default settings or to latest users
> settings?

MacOS had a profile feature like this until OSX arrived, so it's
probably not too hard to figure out.  I forget exactly how it handled
this case off the top of my head, but IIRC it just had a concept of a
"Current" or "Custom" profile that was used if the current settings
didn't match any of the saved profiles-- this profile could then be
saved as a named profile at any time. A lot like our theme preferences
in GNOME, really.

Sadly the profile feature in OSX is less extensive (only covers network
settings, although in theory it's not restricted to that), but it's
still better than most Linux desktops can offer yet :/

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group