Re: Modifying GNOME-About to count users

> Essentially we propose modifying the GNOME About box to include a toggle
> that indicate the user's permission to activate a program that would
> periodically contact a central GNOME server.   Information that would be
> transmitted and recorded has not been decided yet, but the prime
> requirement is to record the number of current GNOME users (not
> installations) on a (say) monthly basis.

Why the About Box? Shouldn't that be in the Perference or
gnome-control-center? Have a small program like Ubuntu's Device Database
where the user can run it at their will. Ask them a few questions about
new or important feature in the release and ask them to submit their
feedback. Let them know they are welcome to fill it out as often as they
want so that their feedback can be used to make the next release even
better.

It think making it obvious and reminding them that their feedback does
matter, is a lot better than throwing it in the about Box which maybe
gets looked at once or twice.

Scott Sloan