Re: Modifying GNOME-About to count users

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 00:07 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Eric Larson">
> > If it is the first time a person starts gnome, maybe ask them to let us
> > know they are running gnome.
>
> The first time a (real) person starts GNOME, they're using a version
> delivered by their distributor or system administrator, neither of whom are
> interested in interrupting their user with "irrelevant" stuff about GNOME.
>
> > Another option would be something like a "I am a GNOME" campaign or
> > something where users can really take the time to support gnome and let us
> > know how many people are running it.
>
> Yes, this is basically what the FoG idea at the end of my mail boils down
> to, and precisely what the gnome-about form could offer. "Love GNOME? Join
> the Friends of GNOME gang!"

Real users won't understand the difference between GNOME and their Linux
distro as a whole. How would they? If you can see the lines between
GNOME and everything else, that means the distro/sysadmin did a shitty
job of integration (and the user is likely to hate GNOME because of it).

-- Dan