Re: Modifying GNOME-About to count users

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Eric Larson wrote:

> Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:54:40 -0400
> From: Eric Larson <elarson ximian com>
> To: Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org>
> Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Modifying GNOME-About to count users
>
> > I've been advocating a simple enter-your-email-we-won't-spam-you form
>
> I can't imagine any casual system will provide very reliable data so why
> worry about an email address. If it is the first time a person starts
> gnome, maybe ask them to let us know they are running gnome.

Gnome has made great efforts to setup good defaults precisely to avoid
annoying users with an endless stream of questions the first time they run
things, and these questions are only asked when it becomes absolutely
necessary.

Previously I suggested bug buddy because it was a place where users were
already sending back information to Gnome.org and something which
distributions would not interfere with.

Alternatively you could ask users to provide feedback in places when they
are already filling in a load of forms about their identity (galago?) and
ask them if they would like to register as a Gnome supporter/user.

Sincerely

- Alan H.