Re: switching to g-c-c shell? [Was: Re: Control center and capplet merging]

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 11:43 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
<snip>
> (As hideous as the Sound crapplet is), Martin has put a "choose your output
> device" dropdown in the Sound crapplet in breezy, and some hotplugging stuff
> to go with it. If we didn't have so much trouble with middle layers of the
> audio stack (read: mixing), this is what the user-interesting functionality
> would be. This needs some... "integrationary massage" before going upstream,
> but it's a good step.

Does Martin read utopia-list? I posted about that in more details last
week after a talk with Matthew.

> > I do see the value in configuring a custom default video sink though.  Let
> > me go do that now. Not.
>
> So, the argument here is that sometimes XVideo doesn't work, yada yada. In
> Windows, you turn "video acceleration" on and off, much like Totem's options
> for TV out. Maybe that's one way of keeping it around, but less confusing.

I don't agree. Even having to turn video acceleration off is gross. Why
would you ever want to disable acceleration? At worse, it should be in
GConf.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
Oliver [Stone] is a brilliant director, but he's a horrible person. --
Joe Pesci