Re: Application/System Tools vs System/Administration

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 07:43 -0700, Rob Adams wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 10:36 +0200, Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
> > Nope. I myself used it to enable windows shading (absolutely essential),
> > and to change special modifier to WinKey instead of Alt. And I know
> > people who use it to enable focus-follows-mouse. So as you can see, all
> > the 3 settings make perfect sense.
>
> I'm sure that there exist people who use the settings.  But these are
> all legacy modes, present only so people can set metacity to use legacy
> behaviors they might be "used to" from ancient history.  Things like
> focus-follows-mouse and window shading.
>
> (window shading only makes sense when you have a retarded window
> switcher like the one in mac OS <=9, and focus-follows-mouse is just
> silly really, despite the fact that I use it :-) ).

Could we please avoid calling people's desktops retarded?  Window
shading is an insanely useful tool.  Window lists are an exercise
in hunt-and-peck.  I already know exactly where my window is on
the desktop; why should I try to figure out where it is in some
list as well?

When I need to get a window out of the way, I can just shade it,
do whatever I need, and restore it.  I don't have to go hunting
through some arcane list to find my window again.  I never lost
it; it's right there where I left it.

"Minimizing only makes sense when you have a retarded window
switcher like the one in Windows >= 95."

I'm not just used to window shading.  I honestly think it's a
better interaction than minimizing.  Minimizing disrupts the
workflow and forces users to scan a horizontal list.  Shading
is completely non-desctructive.

--
Shaun