Re: Gnome Session Services Framework

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 19:05 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> While I don't see this being included with the next GNOME 2.12 release
> many people have been asking for these features and I think it is time
> we consider fixing up the gnome-session patch to make it conditionally
> compilable and get people playing with it.  I think the lead time needed
> to fix up all the issues is not that long and distros can start to
> include at least the wrapper part in the near future and then eventually
> get it proposed for 2.14.

how would we include the wrapper program without having the
gnome-session part of it for 2.12?

> Things that need to be done:
>
> * fix up the gnome-session patch so it is conditionally compilable -
> right now the patch strips out large portions of gnome-session code.

I'm working on this now.

> * add a switch (or gconf key/env variable) to turn off all the hardcoded
> services that are started so people can play with the new code in a pure
> session.

what do you mean with this?

> * Make sure we handle the new service startup spec from freedesktop.org
>
> * Add the dbus patch for handling command line switches when activating
> services (almost in)

cool

> * Write up documents on how to integrate with the new session services
> framework
>
> * Add conditionally compiled code to key services so people can play
> with them
>
> * Fix bugs
>
> * Profit
>
> Anything else?

from all my tests, this is, IMO, ready to be tested for 2.12. So, I
would suggest we add the gnome-session conditionally compiled code (once
I finish it), make that the default so that we force people to test it,
and if big errors are found, come back to the old gnome-session thing by
default.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>