Re: Gnome Session Services Framework

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 13:32 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 19:05 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> >
> > While I don't see this being included with the next GNOME 2.12 release
> > many people have been asking for these features and I think it is time
> > we consider fixing up the gnome-session patch to make it conditionally
> > compilable and get people playing with it.  I think the lead time needed
> > to fix up all the issues is not that long and distros can start to
> > include at least the wrapper part in the near future and then eventually
> > get it proposed for 2.14.
> >
> how would we include the wrapper program without having the
> gnome-session part of it for 2.12?

If you can get the patch ready and people are willing to accept it then
be my guest but I don't think it is going to be ready for 2.12 (either
part).  I think you underestimate the work needed to get a proper
implementation going.  This does not stop distros from shipping it and
as I said, not sure about your guys schedule but I think at least with
respect Fedora, that will give us enough lead time to include it.  2.12
freeze is coming up soon isn't it?

> > Things that need to be done:
> >
> > * fix up the gnome-session patch so it is conditionally compilable -
> > right now the patch strips out large portions of gnome-session code.
> >
> I'm working on this now.
>
> > * add a switch (or gconf key/env variable) to turn off all the hardcoded
> > services that are started so people can play with the new code in a pure
> > session.
> >
> what do you mean with this?

Right now we have a bunch of apps that are spawned from gnome-session in
the code itself.  We need the ability to turn this on and off so that
people can play around with the new framework without having to totally
hose their session.

> > * Make sure we handle the new service startup spec from freedesktop.org
> >
> > * Add the dbus patch for handling command line switches when activating
> > services (almost in)
> >
> cool
>
> > * Write up documents on how to integrate with the new session services
> > framework
> >
> > * Add conditionally compiled code to key services so people can play
> > with them
> >
> > * Fix bugs
> >
> > * Profit
> >
> > Anything else?
> >
> from all my tests, this is, IMO, ready to be tested for 2.12. So, I
> would suggest we add the gnome-session conditionally compiled code (once
> I finish it), make that the default so that we force people to test it,
> and if big errors are found, come back to the old gnome-session thing by
> default.

If you believe so and the maintainers believe so than go ahead but I
rather stay cautious at this stage of the game.  I don't think there is
any harm leaving it off for a release giving us more time to polish it
off.  Like I said there is nothing preventing distros from shipping it
first.  Lets get the code in and see from there how well it fares then
we can make a judgment on if it should be turned on for 2.12.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>