Re: change an environment variable in a running gnome session

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 17:48 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 11:29 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > Long answer: what exactly are you trying to do?  There may be a way
> > within GNOME to do it.
>
> If it's to change the locale settings without logging out of gnome, and
> back in, then I have some ideas on how to make that work, that I will be
> playing with soon. If everything works as I think it will, then we can
> probably get this into gnome 2.14. :)

This is far from trivial.  A lot of applications do more than just
gettext on GTK+ labels, and changing an Xsetting or something else
isn't going to magically make them refresh all their data.  I'm not
saying it's not a worthy cause.  But many applications are written
assuming that locale information doesn't change in their lifecycle,
so there will be a lot of work ahead of us to get all these apps
responding to locale changes.

--
Shaun