Re: Patch Pending: Tray icon does not account for icon transparency mask

On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 18:26 +0200, Markus Bertheau wrote:
> Dnia 11-06-2005, sob o godzinie 18:36 +0300, Ilya Konstantinov
> napisał(a):
> > Hi,
> >
> > (Regarding bug 150726)
> >
> > Some half a year ago, I've spent a good day or two researching the
> > behavior of the GNOME and KDE desktop environments when it comes to
> > notification icons (tray icons) with transparent areas. Eventually, I've
> > written a detailed bug about it and submitted a patch to the libegg
> > trayicon code.
> >
> > Since then, I was using this patch in my own code (the mozTrayBiff
> > project -- http://moztraybiff.mozdev.org -- provides a notification icon
> > upon new mail) quite successfuly and none of my users had any problems
> > with it.
> >
> > So why wasn't my work merged into libegg? Only because nobody spent the
> > time to understand the issue like I did? That's understandable, but why
> > is the maintainer leaving me feeling as if my work was a waste?
> >
> > Could anyone please look at my patch and comment on it / check it in?
>
> That would be easier if you provided a direct link to the bugzilla
> bug :), not just the number. The reason is probably that bugzilla is
> effectively unusable for developers. It has far too many bugs for them
> to handle. They'd spend all their time managing bugzilla bugs and would
> have no time for programming. That is a very unfortunate situation. The
> best you can probably do is to bring that issue up on a list that is
> more focused on eel than d-d-l. (I don't know which list that is). Try
> not to be offended by noone looking at your patch. There are too little
> people in the bug squad, no bugzilla bugs just go pretty much unnoticed.
>
> People always said, "put it in bugzilla, so it doesn't get lost", but
> today the rather sad truth is that, often, if you do put it only in
> bugzilla, then there's a very little chance of someone looking at it.

What a load of rubbish.

If people were to put patches in bugzilla, along with what problem it
fixes I wouldn't have to go chasing patches in a gazillion different
arch branches, and ask people what it fixes, or how to reproduce
problems for Rhythmbox.

The problem is more that the EggTrayIcon doesn't have a clear
maintainer, or the maintainer is too busy with other things (or both).
It has nothing to do with the usability of bugzilla.

Bastien, who merged 33 patches in Rhythmbox in the last week.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>