Re: Making GNOME crash

Hi,

> 	What I don't agree with, though, is that *everyone* building a module
> should be subjected to -Werror. If I build some random module and it
> barfs on some warning because I'm using a version of gcc that the
> developer of that module isn't using ... then I just get very annoyed
> and abuse the poor person:
>
>   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2005-March/msg00069.html

Personal preferences are allowed.

I agree it wouldn't be a good thing for GNOME atm precisely because
other people that have no interest in fixing even the most obvious of
these would not be able to build GNOME.

However, I think once a project has made the effort to do this cleanup
once, I think it's fine to enable this on CVS builds, to not let that
effort go to waste.

Why ? Quite simply because we still do not have access to all platforms
we want to build on easily.  It'd be great if Sun would provide some
solaris machines for easy access, and people have tried repeatedly in
the past, but until that day comes I want a solaris user to tell me
about any possible problems with the code.  And they quite simply won't
do so unless it gives them a problem.  I think that's great.
Same goes for a whole bunch of other platforms.

I think it's sad that a lot of chunks in GNOME only get very rare
testing on Solaris, and most of it when it is too late to do anything
about it.

In the end, I am pleased my gut feeling on this is supported by Luis'
experience with our build.  It makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

Thomas

Oh what do you do
when you feel like
you're living a lie