Re: High Contrast Icons

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 15:08 -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
> But that only avoids conflicts when the icon isn't overridden by
> an icon theme.  The original point of the thread is that we should
> be providing HighContrast and HighContrastInverse icons whenever
> we provide hicolor icons.  I can put Yelp's application-specific
> icons in DATADIR/yelp/icons, but that only provides my fallback
> icons.  What's Yelp to do about the a11y versions?
>
> I suppose I could put in a one-off check if the user's icon theme
> is HighContrast and HighContrastInverse and adjust the icon search
> path in Yelp accordingly (like, say, DATADIR/yelp/hcicons).  But,
> you know, ewww.

I'd have to say that is the correct way to deal with it. Everything
in the world isn't pretty. And the attitude put forth in your previous
posts tells me that you'd be less than comprimising when it came to
trying to make the use cases consistent between yelp and other help
browsers.

As I said previously, the GTK+ API is perhaps not the best thing in the
world when it comes to handling cases like this, and fallbacks. The
correct way to fix this is to decide what's wrong with the API exactly,
design a way to fix it, and just fix it, not to implement workarounds by
just installing the files somewhere else, so you can make the API easier
to use for you as a developer. The workaround sucks in terms of release
engineering, and the API is annoying in terms of development. Let's look
into fixing the API for developers, not making stuff more of a pain for
packagers because the API is annoying and makes you say ewww.

-- dobey