Re: High Contrast Icons

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 16:24 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 15:08 -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > But that only avoids conflicts when the icon isn't overridden by
> > an icon theme.  The original point of the thread is that we should
> > be providing HighContrast and HighContrastInverse icons whenever
> > we provide hicolor icons.  I can put Yelp's application-specific
> > icons in DATADIR/yelp/icons, but that only provides my fallback
> > icons.  What's Yelp to do about the a11y versions?
> >
> > I suppose I could put in a one-off check if the user's icon theme
> > is HighContrast and HighContrastInverse and adjust the icon search
> > path in Yelp accordingly (like, say, DATADIR/yelp/hcicons).  But,
> > you know, ewww.
>
> I'd have to say that is the correct way to deal with it. Everything
> in the world isn't pretty. And the attitude put forth in your previous
> posts tells me that you'd be less than comprimising when it came to
> trying to make the use cases consistent between yelp and other help
> browsers.

Attitude?  I said that "it's probably not the most important thing in
the world" and that "doing so will necessarily enforce some level of
rendering policy, giving us less flexibility to tweak output."  How
is that an attitude?  I merely pointed out that it's not as trivial
as some people might think, and that it isn't high on my list of
priorities.

You know, sometimes a person on the outside of a project looks at
something and says "Oh, such-and-such should be trivial."  But it
turns out there are all sorts of cases that person isn't seeing.
The people close to the project, the people doing the day-to-day
maintenance, they usually have a good idea of the difficulties
involved with any given task.

An hour ago, I was involved in an intelligent and mature discussion
about themes, and icon themes in particular, and the problems I
believe I would face as an application developer with respect
to themes.  And now, because I've pointed out some real problems
application developers might have, I have an attitude.

--
Shaun