Re: Gnome 2.14 Module Proposal: Nautilus-actions

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 13:08 +0100, RUAUDEL Frédéric wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>    I would like to propose Nautilus-actions for inclusion in the next
> release of the Gnome Desktop 2.14.
>
>    I hope that it is not too late but it seems that the final decision
> will be taken on 18th of January during
> the Feature and Module Freeze.
>
> *  Nautilus-actions* is an extensions for nautilus which allow to add
> arbitrary program to launch through the nautilus popup menu of selected
> files.
>
>   Each time you right-click on one or several selected files in
> nautilus, *nautilus-actions* will look at its configured actions to see
> if a program has been setup for this selection. If it is the case, it
> will add an item in the menu that allow you to execute the program on
> the selected files.
>
>   It works like the present nautilus-scripts but appears in a contextual
> manner so it will not launch a script against files that are not
> appropriate, if well configured of course.
>
>   Additionally, nautilus-action is part of the project "UNIX power for
> desktop" initiated by Rodrigo Moya [1]
>
> I've just released a new release (0.99) with some new features that
> improves its integration in the Gnome desktop (full C code, GConf
> configuration, better UI).
>
> The project is registered in Gnome CVS :
>
> http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/nautilus-actions
>
> The project website is available here :
>
> http://www.grumz.net/taxonomy/term/8/9
>
> Some screenshots are available here :
>
> http://www.grumz.net/taxonomy/term/5/9
>

> There is still some usability issues that will be addressed soon :
>
> - Dialogs don't feet in a 800x600 screen : will be fixed in next version
> - Bloats nautilus popup menu : needs possibility to setup submenu =>
> will be available in Nautilus in 2.14 release, AFAIK

I think it would be nice if actions could be categorized, so that there
would be a Actions submenu in the nautilus context menu, and from there,
have submenus for each category, apart from the top-level 'Manage
actions' menu item.

> Should I have to update the Gnome Wiki page or is it the responsibility
> of someone in particular ?

no need to update the wiki, if you mean the UNIX power for desktop page.
Once we get ironed out, I guess we can remove all sections in that page
that refer to n-a or its functionality.

Apart from the 2 issues you mentioned, I think n-a would be a great
addition for 2.14, so vote for it :)

We can look, for 2.16/.18, to integrate all this into Nautilus itself,
if people like it.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>