Re: MOTD implementation in gnome-session

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 17:11 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 01:53 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Mark McLoughlin">
> >
> > > 	I the first thing worth discussing is "why?". Why is it a good idea to
> > > show /etc/motd at login?
> >
> > It's very handy for sysadmins to display information to the user at login.
> > I've used zenity and very bad gnome-session hacks for this in the past. Our
> > audience of desktop systems administrators will appreciate the feature.
>
> 	What kind of information is it especially handy for? Perhaps when you
> upgrade the desktop and you want to warn people that stuff has changed?
> But not for stuff like "internet will be down for a while today" because
> people may not actually log out that often?
>
> 	Is login the best time to show this information or would you prefer if
> the user saw it immediately?

my patch listens for changes in /etc/motd, so whenever that changes,
logged in users would see the message.

> 	Would you expect each user to see this information only once? i.e. if
> you immediately logged out and back in again should you see the same
> message?

that is probably a problem, to show always the same message in systems
that have nothing interesting in that file. The problem is how to deal
with this?
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>