Re: Gnome 2.14 Module Proposal: Deskbar Applet

Qui, 2005-10-27 às 16:09 +0200, Christophe Merlet escreveu:
> GNOME must be light and simple.
> GNOME must be accessible and must be able to run on little hardware (old
> computer and assistant like nokia 770)
>
> Then, GNOME should not have big dependencies like Python, Perl, C# or
> other in order to work.
>
> Then deskbar-applet should not be included in the next GNOME desktop
> release.
>
> There are some years, a full OS with graphical desktop and utilities was
> able to run in only 8 MB (Windows 95, System 7.5, ...). How can you
> accept today to see simple applet consume more than 22 MB !!!! It's
> UNACCEPTABLE

  First of all, the applet is not "simple".  Maybe it helps to consider
it as a complex indexing and launcher application which just happens to
have an "applet interface".

  Even if the applet is included with GNOME, nobody forces anybody to
use it.  Guess what? GNOME ships with a "Contact Lookup Applet".  It
consumes 14 MB of resident memory.  Yet, I *choose*[1] to not use it, so
I don't care if it ships with GNOME, I don't waste any memory because of
it.

  Maybe replacing the run dialog with deskbar (at least by default) is
going a bit too far.  But, please, shipping one more optional applet is
not going to hurt anyone.

  Regards.

[1] Choose because I don't need it, not because it is too big.
--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.