Re: Proposal for inclusion in Desktop: GNOME Power Manager

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 10:29 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 22:01 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
>
> > GNOME Power Manager is a session daemon for the GNOME desktop
> > environment that makes it easy to manage your laptop or desktop system.
>
> I think this is crucial technology. I also think we should kill the
> notification icon, unless G-P-M has specific things it needs to notify
> users about. Notification icons as applets are just bad mojo.

Yes, ideally the icon appears when a wireless keyboard, mouse, UPS and
laptop battery is low on power, and will use libnotify to tell the user
when *really* low.

The icon is configurable to whether it stays in the tray whilst
charging / discharging, low (still need to fully code this), not full --
so I guess the sanest option from a usability perspective would to just
show the icon when charging or discharging, or when a device is low.

I went against the applet-as-notifier type design, as g-p-m is a session
daemon, running once per user. A user could add more than one applet
(and have contention) or not add any at all (and have no
power-management) -- plus I figured the user was being "notified" of the
battery state.

Tell me what you think.

Richard.