Re: Moving to bonjour over howl

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 04:35:39PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 01:14 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Vincent Untz">

> > > So, it seems some people want to use howl, some prefer bonjour and some
> > > other ones want avahi. Sounds like we'll need an abstraction to make
> > > everyone happy...
> >
> > No, let's not go down the abstraction path [1] when this is a very simple,
> > straightforward policy decision. It's APSL2 and code that is out of the
> > community's control versus sane licensing and the delightful Avahi project.
> >
> > - Jeff
>
> It isn't that straight-forward. Only one mDNS responder daemon can be
> launched at a time, and the different implementations can't talk to each
> other. Avahi talks only to avahi, howl only talks to howl, bonjour only
> talks to bonjour (although I'm not 100% sure the 2 latter can't talk to
> each other).

Just to clear this up for the less informed, Bastien is talking at the
client level, e.g. something using the howl API cannot talk to the Avahi
daemon instead of the Howl daemon.

All three of these products interoperate perfect at the network level
and services published on any implementation can be found with any
other.

Trent