Re: Moving to *Avahi* over howl

On Fri, 16.09.05 17:22, Alexander Larsson (alexl redhat com) wrote:

> > Will this provide thread safety?
> >
> > Will this work without GLib main loop? (And how will this look like?)
> >
> > As it seems these two issues a would ease the writing of/be required by a gnome-vfs
> > module.
>
> As long as gnome-vfs can use Avahi itself while not conflicting with the
> app using GServiceBrowser there shouldn't be a problem. There is really
> no need to make the gnome-vfs code use GServiceBrowser.
>
> I agree that for normal Gtk+ apps an api like GServiceBrowser is much
> nicer. The question is in which library GServiceBrowser would be of
> course.
>
> By the way, does Avahi support unicast dns-sd?

Just a few minutes ago I sent the first unicast dns-sd packet crafted
by Avahi's new "wide area" DNS-SD support to my local DNS server.

Avahi 0.6 will provide it. No registering and no "long lived query"
support for now, but enough to replace the unicast DNS-SD
implemntation currently existing in gnome-vfs.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/