Re: Moving to bonjour over howl

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 17:17 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> I'm not saying Avahi needs a mainloop. However, GServiceBrowser clearly
> needs one. Anyway, I was just explaining why the gnome-vfs dns-sd code
> looks like it does. It seemed like David just looked at it and said
> "ewww, this is ugly, I'll do my own thing instead" without an
> understanding of why it looks like it does.

It is currently designed to handle a more generic case.

I am not sure why the DNS-SD code has to necessarily be able to handle
synchronous and asynchronous calls. Shouldn't gnome-vfs-daemon simply be
tracking devices on the network which are then offered in some logic way
back to the gnome-vfs API?

It seemed to me at the moment that Howl gets stopped and started a lot,
which would either cause sporadic blasts of network traffic or cause
events to be missed. I'm not sure which. Please correct me if I've
understood it entirely wrong.

Alternatively, please tell me what you would want out of an adapter such
as the one I am writing.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA