Re: [gpm] Re: Gnome 2.16 Module Proposal: GNOME Power Manager

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 14:47 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 21:29 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 01:47:12PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> >
> > > Since the original announcement mail about gnome-power-manager, we have
> > > moved the mailing list to gnome.org, are now hosted on gnome.org, and am
> > > starting to integrate with other parts of the GNOME application stack.
> > > Lots of new functionality has been added, and lots of polish has been
> > > applied. See the screenshots area of my website[5] for some cool
> > > screenshots of the latest stuff in the 2-15 branch.
> >
> > I would like to see g-p-m fragmented into three parts.
> >
> >  * A daemon with no GTK+ dependance that would be suitable for
> >    cross-desktop use
> >  * A capplet (this exists today)
> >  * A notification area icon (libnotify dependance goes here)
>
> Umm, no.
>
> The IPC between these components would be horrific and over-complicated
> for no actual gain. KDE are quite happy with their own power management
> applications, and no KDE developer has ever mentioned to me that they
> would want such a cross-desktop daemon.

Does their power management thing use DBus, and
if so, do we share a common interface?  I care
much less about shared code than about shared
interfaces.

Any time we're providing hooks for interacting
with the desktop, we should see if we can share
those hooks with other free desktops.  With DBus,
this is relatively easy, and we can still provide
whatever additional functionality over the shared
interface we need by providing a Gnome-specific
interface as well.  Viva la DBus!

This stuff matters ISDs.  Many of them just won't
bother doing things if it's difficult to manage
the cross-desktop scenario.

--
Shaun