Re: gnome-keyring branched

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 08:59 +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> Nate Nielsen wrote:
> > Jeff Waugh wrote:
> >
> >> <quote who="Alexander Larsson">

> >> That's very exciting! Has anyone been working on kerberos, gpg or ssh love
> >> for gnome-keyring?
> >>

> > Yup, I'm getting a bunch of code that does exactly this ready for
> > inclusion in Seahorse (which manages GPG and SSH keys).
> >
> > There's also gnome-gpg, which integrates GPG password prompting into the
> > keyring.
> >
> I haven't looked at the seahorse code much, but if gnome-gpg and
> seahorse are storing PGP passphrases in the keyring it would make sense
> to use the same key names so that the user doesn't need to reenter their
> passphrase for each app (they'd still need to authorise the app to
> access the key though).

Not that I want to OT this thread too much, but hi all.  I was mentioned
earlier in this thread because I am working on getting pam_keyring fully
integrated with gnome-keyring and pam.  I think we are really making
some good strides.

Relating to the last post, I wanted to ask, "What does everyone see as
the future implementations of gnome-keyring?"

Personally I want an infrastructure where every application can have
their own keyring, ie.  NetworkManager, Gnome-PGP, Gnome-VFS, e-mail
(Evolution, TinyMail, Thunderbird), Web Browser ( Epiphany, Firefox,
Mozilla).  The sky is the limit.  Gnome-keyring really then acts as a
manager to give all the applications good seamless integration to secure
storage of passwords.

I also think we need to look at possibly another interface to manage
these keyrings.  Gnome-keyring-manager is getting to the functional
stage, however the python application Revelation is much further
advanced in usability.  It is written in python and already supports
many different formats of passwords to store.  It also has a nice applet
interface for quick access to stored information.

I have started work on getting gnome-keyring support into
gnome-python-desktop, which would help to integrate gnome-keyring as a
backend to revelation.  Is this even an avenue that the community wants
to venture down?

I would love to get some feedback, mostly because I don't want to waste
too much time working on things that wouldn't get implemented.  I do
appreciate the time that the gnome-keyring maintainers have spent
implementing my patches.  I apologize for using this as an open forum to
bring this stuff up, but there isn't a gnome-keyring specific mailing
list.

Jon