Re: Mono bindings a blessed dependency? [Was: Tomboy in 2.16]

Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 09:21 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:

Oh, it's a freedesktop project.

In which sense it's a "fd.o project"?  Considering that:

  * the spec upon which is based is in on the wiki, in the "even less
    than a draft" section, and it can be edited by anyone with an
    account[1];
  * I didn't see any endorsement by anyone - except by the projects
    for which Jamie did wrote a patch for;
  * I don't see anyone except Jamie working on it, making Tracker
    _and_ the spec as the next candidates to the "son of egg-recent"
    competition[2];

Deskbar developer Mikkel Kamstrup (http://kamstrup.livejournal.com/) wrote the deskbar handler and has committed himself to write a PYGTK GUI for tracker.

Its fdo because it contains no gnome dependencies so its "in-theory" fdo complaint and it uses fdo technologies like Dbus, XDGMime etc.

I like the idea of a common spec for file meta-data, and the idea of a
C-based indexer, especially for low-entry machines; yet, I don't think
that the current spec and Tracker are mature enough for the job.

Thats true - its still early days for tracker but we are getting there. There are a tremendous amount of things we can do with tracker.

I am not asking for tracker to go into gnome just yet as there is a more stuff to be done but when I do it will be abstracted with Beagle in some way so nobody has to give up their preferred indexer. Its unacceptable for either project to just die in favour of the other and thats why I am against having either a Beagle only solution or a tracker only solution in Gnome (I have lots of comments in my email box from satisfied users and I have a moral duty to support and protect them and ensure they get integration with gnome).

+++

[1] Dublin Core anyone? Timestamps not using ISO8601 but something that
is similar-yet-not-quite-enough?

should be ISO8601. We need namespaces/classes for metadata as raw DC is not appropriate and hierarchical rdf types are very inelegant (and unmanageable in tracker's DB).

[2] What if Jamie grows tired? What if we stay with the same spec and
code lying around for three years? Is there some form of commitment for
the next years?

Yes - I have a 1ghz p4 notepad with 256MB RAM so tracker is the only viable system that works on it so I'm committed to maintaining it. But if anyone else wants to join in the fun then let me know.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/