Re: Prototype code/specification in Freedesktop [Was: Mono bindings a blessed dependency?]

Ross Burton wrote:
On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 11:29 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
[re: Tracker]
Oh, it's a freedesktop project.
This isn't a dig on tracker, but I don't really agree with the
implication of this statement.  Putting something up on freedesktop.org
doesn't automatically bless it in some utopian cross desktop way.

This touches on something I've been unhappy about regarding
freedesktop.org for some time now.  There is no "approved" and "in
development" distinction in the SVN, project URLs, etc.

For example, we all agree that the Desktop Entry spec is a true
freedesktop standard, and it's URL is
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards/desktop-entry-spec.  It's used by
GNOME, KDE, XFCE, and many other systems.

The Tracker metadata specification, or to give it it's full and rather
grand name the Shared File Metadata Specification, is at
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards/shared-filemetadata-spec.  There
is one application that implements this specification, and that is
Tracker.  It's changing frequently as problems are pointed out (timezone
was added to some of the date fields this week), but to the untrained
observer it's as blessed as the Desktop Entry specification, which is
obviously incorrect.

on page http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards

The shared File Metadata specification is under section "Specifications currently in the planning/requirements-gathering stages:"

I beleive that is the correct place for something that is still in a little flux?

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/