Re: GNOME Power Manager

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 17:07 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
> Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > What do I use for my machines where I must run a Linux 2.4 kernel
> > then? :)
>
> Why do you have to run Linux 2.4 on these machines? Without knowing
> more, I'd say "run an equally out-of-date version of GNOME on them."

Because neither APM nor ACPI work in 2.6 on my laptop, getting 2.6 built
from source, with udev, hal, and all that those entail, into a working
state, is not something you can do by downloading tarballs and compiling
and installing them. The amount of configuration required to make it
work, along with the unreliability issues in power management, make it
not worth bothering with. And swapping out the OS to update to something
that will only theoretically work, is not worth the hassle either.

> > Or what about BSD or other systems?
>
> They will have more incentive to port HAL to their OSes, which is a Good
> Thing for everyone. Also, if someone wanted to create a new module to
> maintain the battstat applet separate from gnome-applets like happened
> with gnome-smproxy, they could do that.

Is HAL even in a state where it could be ported to such systems? I think
at this point it is so tied to the 2.6 kernel, that it isn't really
feasible. They would need a separate thing similar to hal, but not
called hal, but that provides the same d-bus api, as I understand it.

-- dobey