Re: GNOME Power Manager

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 21:45 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 21/04/06, Bryan Clark <bclark redhat com> wrote:
> > It's always hard to be everything to everyone.  Just like other
> > applications that have been replaced we probably need a solution for
> > that transition.  What are your ideas on how to handle all the current
> > battery applet users?
>
> Surely gnome-volume-manager and half of the new gnome-vfs stuff
> wouldn't also work in this situation?

Actually, gnome-vfs does not require HAL to work, and not having gvm to
automount things is not a major issue, especially when one has been
manually mounting drives for 10 years straight.

> There's no reason HAL couldn't support the BSD power interface (not
> that much work), and I think someone was working on this a while back.
> And also there's the question of how many cutting edge GNOME 2.15
> installs are going to be done on really old 2.4.x machines...

2.4 is not really old. And at least 2 installs will be on 2.4 boxes.
Granted, gnome-power-manager won't be on either of those installs,
unless it ends up with a --without-hal option that uses libapm or
something for battery/power status.

-- dobey