Re: Resolution Independence in Gnome

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 16:57 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 17:17 -0400, Dominic Lachowicz wrote:
>
> > That's not quite true. In every test that I've done, librsvg + Cairo
> > is between 2 and 10 times faster than librsvg + libart was. And
> > librsvg + libart was faster loading many of these SVG icons than
> > libpng was at loading the pre-rendered versions.
>
> The Mozilla people are complaining about SVG rendering speed in
> cairo-list :)

Mozilla doesn't use librsvg, either. They have their own thing. :)

> Anyway, the problem of memory consumption remains.

Yeah, the gigantic caches we have for icon themes are going to start
sucking soon. Especially if we don't work on reducing the number of
icons we use over all, and continue adding them. The 75MB
icon-theme.cache for Tango is already quite big, and it provides less
icons than gnome-icon-theme does.

-- dobey