Re: Global keybindings in GNOME

I don't see these two as being very different from a user's perpective. Given how long the list in the capplet is today, I already just guess when setting a keybinding there, and rely on the app to show me a conflict.

-Alex

Havoc Pennington wrote:
Since bindings are a global resource really there are two options for avoiding conflict:
  - foist it off on users - when they install an offending app, a dialog
    comes up like "this app wants to bind F12. the desktop has already
    bound F12" then the user chooses F11 instead and a new dialog is all
    "such-and-such already has F11. try again!" and so forth...
    not good.
  - have a centrally maintained list of global bindings that don't
    conflict