Re: icon naming spec and gnome-vfs

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 06:31:54PM +0200, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> > Speaking of which: the latest GNOME has a castrated icon theme that does
> > not show me what type of image the icon represents, nor what type of
> > audio file I'm clicking on.
> >
> > David is right: the more information the icons can provide, the better.
> > I don't know where you get the funny idea that the less information the
> > icons provides, the better.
>
> Hi.
> An image thumbnail will give you much more information than a text label
> on a tiny icon and that is likely to be the default case on the GNOME
> desktop.

  Every time this discussion comes back I wonder: why not create
Nautilus extensions which will overlay small rectangle with text (based
on mime-type) over icon? So every icon of type image/png will get
rectangle with "PNG" painted over it. No matter if original icon was
real thumbnail or stock icon. Text size could be adjusted to
current icon size and screen DPI.
  Or, if this kind of icon modification is not possible, auto-assign
emblems to different mime-types.

--
Tomasz Torcz                "Funeral in the morning, IDE hacking
zdzichu irc -nie spam- pl    in the afternoon and evening." - Alan Cox