Re: icon naming spec and gnome-vfs

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 16:49 +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
>   Every time this discussion comes back I wonder: why not create
> Nautilus extensions which will overlay small rectangle with text (based
> on mime-type) over icon? So every icon of type image/png will get
> rectangle with "PNG" painted over it. No matter if original icon was
> real thumbnail or stock icon. Text size could be adjusted to
> current icon size and screen DPI.
>   Or, if this kind of icon modification is not possible, auto-assign
> emblems to different mime-types.

Neat idea.  Something like this proves it works (with nautilus-python):

import nautilus
class TypembemsExtension(nautilus.InfoProvider):
    def __init__(self):
        pass

    def update_file_info(self, f):
        if f.is_mime_type ("image/png"):
            f.add_emblem ("favorite")

The tricky bit will be drawing enough emblems for the relevant types,
and maintaining the map.  Really this will require the concept of
"private emblems", so that they don't appear selectable by the user.

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./