Re: [Gnome-OCR] Integration of Tesseract-OCR...

Emmanuel Fleury wrote:
> 1) Tesseract-OCR software has been released under Apache License 2.0
>
> This license is know to be incompatible with the GPL because more
> restrictive about patents:
>
> « Apache Software License, version 2.0
>
> This is a free software license but it is incompatible with the GPL. The
> Apache Software License is incompatible with the GPL because it has a
> specific requirement that is not in the GPL: it has certain patent
> termination cases that the GPL does not require. (We don't think those
> patent termination cases are inherently a bad idea, but nonetheless they
> are incompatible with the GNU GPL.) »
>
> Seen on: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
>
> What are the implication of this on the use of this software inside a
> GPLed project ?

That you can't link a GPL program against a library contain such code.
If it is to write an application for Gnome (even part of Gnome) but not
having a library that use said code for the Gnome platform, it is not a
problem. And the Apache License 2.0 is not incompatible with LGPL, which
mean that it can link against Gnome libraries.

And as stated earlier, GPLv3 should address the problem.

Hub