what if there is some way that sensitive or private data can get into
the log.  Then when the program crashes, this sensitive data gets put
in a public forum for all to see (if they know where to look).

#3  <signal handler called>
#4  0x00000005 in ?? ()
#5  0xb487cc71 in show_password_dialog (site=0x83ff2c0 "www.hotsexychicks.com", user=0x3777fef "bcameron")
#6  .....

Now, if it's not immediately obvious to anyone, *I just made that trace up*. It is not real.

But the nature of a stack trace is that absolutely anything could be leaked to bugzilla. This is why bug buddy makes it clear that you should review the data sent for personal or private information. Adding data from scripts to bug buddy has two ways it could go wrong - it can leak data by accident, or it can be malicious. In the former case, I'd argue for adding no more options because it's no more likely than leaking data in the stack trace, and that's the reason that we ask the user to review all data sent anyway. In the latter case, you've just installed malicious code on your machine and all bets are off (there are much easier ways to send data out of a system than via bug-buddy, anyway.....).

PS. Just for reference, people *do* leak private data onto bugzilla regardless.

--
Andrew