Re: Gnome-utils branched to gnome-2-14

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 00:11 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> Hi Shaun,
>
> On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 11:41 -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
>
> > > The "Master Plan" is:
> >
> > > Screenshot
> > > 	* heavy bugzilla love
> > > 	* remove the file name entry and use a filechooser button
> >

> > In cases 1 and 2, I typically save directly to my public_html
> > folder on master.gnome.org.  (I love the GnomeVFS integration
> > we've got in the GTK+ file choosers these days.)  In 2 and 3,
> > I'm often taking a series of screenshots, and I love the fact
> > that the Screenshot tool remembers my last folder.
>
> This won't change at all.  The machinery that saves the last folder will
> always be there, since I agree with you that's it's a (or even the most)
> useful feature of the screen shooter.
>
> > With a file chooser button, to rename the file, I always have
> > to click the button and type in a new name.  I also can't see
> > at a glance which folder I'm saving into.
>
> I can add a label with the save location under the preview image, for
> faster look up, but it must be understood that the file name entry is
> demonstrably broken, as it doesn't do what it seems to be doing.
>
> For instance, the entry doesn't really control the file name up until
> the very end: it won't work if you are going to save by drag and drop,
> for instance.

I don't have a whole lot more to add.  I've provided my point
of view, and I can see merits in what you're saying as well.
End of the day, you're the maintainer, and it's your call.

But regarding this last paragraph, would a full file chooser
button "solve" this drag and drop case?  Wouldn't it be the
exact same situation?  Also, I'm not sure I understand why
the dragged file can't use the file name provided.  But then,
I don't know how the drag and drop is being done.  Are you
creating a temp file and putting a URI in the drag data?

> It also strikes me as the only UI of the overall desktop that uses a
> separation of the file name and the location, which makes it
> inconsistent.

That's true, I suppose.  Although I do have this graphical
checksum program I've been working on, which has never yet
seen the light of a public release.  It does use separate
controls for file name and location, for pretty much the
reasons I've outlined.  I find that I almost never want to
change the location, but I change the file name maybe half
the time.

--
Shaun