Re: Alt Mouse Modifier (Was: Adaptive mode)

On 8 Feb, 2006, at 11:39 AM, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 16:34 -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
If you need anything more than Ctrl+<letter> in your
application, you're pretty much screwed.

? I fail to see the relevance, this is window level, not application
level, feature.

Taking it for a window-level feature prevents it from being used for any application-level feature. For example, in a Web browser there are all sorts of things you can do with a link: open it in a new window, open it in a new background window, open it in a new tab, open it in a new background tab, or download the linked item. In Epiphany we would like to be able to use (Shift+)Alt+click for one or two of those things, like popular Web browsers on other platforms do. But we can't, because Metacity has taken it.

I would much prefer that the easy way of moving a window was "drag any part of the window that isn't for something else", with no modifier key necessary. Drag a window's title bar, status bar, an empty part of a toolbar, an empty space between controls, and so on. That would provide less target area than Alt+drag did (though still *much* more target area than on Windows or the Mac), but (1) it would be more obvious, (2) it wouldn't need two hands, and (3) it would remove the need for the clutter of a title bar and the rest of the window being visually distinct elements.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/