Re: Special folders in gnome

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 14:10 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 14:56 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> >
> > By the way, I think Apple translate in the UI (maybe in the Shell
> > too),
> > but not on disk. I'm not sure how that looks when you ssh into an
> > Apple
> > box. Maybe it's a filesytem thing.
>
> Maybe being a realist here, but we don't currently translate /home,
> nor /usr/share if the user chooses to look at the filesystem.
>
> >From a filesystem POV we can use /home/%user%/Photos, and any time that
> the user sees the folder (in whatever app), it's translated -- easy.
>
> If the person uses a shell script, or KDE program, and it comes up
> with /Photos rather than %translation%, then the user should understand
> it's because they are not using a GNOME program.
>
> Users are not stupid, but that is just my point of view.

It's not a matter of being stupid.  Let's say some program
started displaying my Pictures folder translated to Chinese.
How would I ever know that that's the same folder?  I don't
speak Chinese, and I don't think I'm all that particularly
stupid just because I don't speak all the 40+ language that
are fully supported in Gnome.

There are a lot of people in the world that don't speak
English.  That doesn't make them stupid.

--
Shaun