Re: Adaptive mode (Was: Re: Browser Mode by Default)

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 09:08 -0500, William Lovaton wrote:

> It's a bit hard for me to explain, let's see:
> Imagine you are using the List View and you have many folders in it
> (let's say your home directory) in a way that real files are not
> visible, located well down in the bottommost part of the window.  Now
> suppose you want to drag a file from your desktop to your home
> directory... there is no easy way to do that because that file won't end
> up in your home directory but in one of the folders located in your home
> directory.  And that's because you are hovering a directory no matter
> where you drop the file.
>
> The only way to do this is to move the mouse down (without dropping the
> file) to the bottom border of the nautilus window and wait for the auto
> scrolling operation to get to the "file area".  Then you can drop the
> file.

Ah, yes.  FWIW, the Mac Finder has exactly the same problem, and the
same (non-obvious) solution... you have to drop on the column headers.
Personally I'd like to see a blank row always inserted at the bottom of
any file manager list view (like on Windows), so there's a guaranteed
bit of 'background' to drop into.  (I'm never too confident about
dropping one file onto another to do this, as that behaviour could
easily change to mean something else one day...)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group