Re: GNOME Icon Theme 2.13.5[.1] AKA the HOLY CRAP, ICONS! release

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 20:38 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 15:15 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> <snip>
> > I plan to patch gnome-applets soon though, so that it uses the new
> > names in gweather.
> <snip>
>
> So what's the easiest way for a maintainer to scan his src/ directory
> identifying the old names, and suggesting replacements?
>
> For instance, for g-p-m a script would be really handy that searched for
> "gnome-dev-acadapter" and suggested a replacement.

There's no particularly easy way to check for icon names. Some of the
names get passed in from libraries, or other pieces of code, as
variables, some are defines, some are string literals. I think the
"simplest" way, would be to patch GTK+, and have it check if the
requested name is in the spec somehow, probably a hash table, and if
not, then spew a warning. A lot of icon names that are in use, are
seemingly quite random as well, which makes it even harder to determine
by script if an icon name makes sense or not, since you can't just grep
for things that you don't know about already. :)

However, I am totally willing to help deal with questions about icons
with regards to the spec, and how to improve things. So, if you can
comprise a list of icons being used, and describe what they are being
used for, and where, and send me e-mail asking for help, I'm sure we
can move ahead in the right direction nicely. :)

> Or are we supposed to just reply on the compat symlinks?

The compat symlinks are there so that applications won't break during
the transition. Also, very few icon themes are actually ported
currently, so I think relying on the compat links for the time being
is not a bad thing entirely.

-- dobey