GFDL/GPL problems

Hi,

I've just been readong the thread started by Jordi on GFDL and GPL, and issues
that Debian currently has with GFDL. Excuse me for starting a new thread on the
issue.

Leaving aside whether GFDL sucks or not, there are serious problems with using
the GPL for docs, primarily because what "source code" means is unclear.
Requirements on the distribution of source code in the GPL become particularly
cumbersome in the context of printing a book.

The GFDL was written because of problems with the GPL as a documentation
licence. Proposing a block relicencing ignores those problems. The approach of
Jordi, that is asking authors to dual-licence their docs, seems sane to me. But
switching to GPL-only would be a mistake.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary