Re: Gnome .desktop files

Quoting Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec suse cz>:

> This happens with a lot of applications, is this a bug or a feature?

If I understand correctly, that would be a feature

Yes. This bug is a feature.

For example if you want to open application and then use DnD, or if you
want to open web link using DnD, you will end by searching a file of the
same type on the disc to be able to open the application.

It's my opinion that viewing apps should still appear in the Applications menu.
I may want to open my application and then open a file from the Recent Files
list in that application, or select some specific function (eg. Play Disc).
Perhaps I have been asked by a member of the support staff what version of
Evince I am running, or as previously pointed out, I want to drag and drop an
element (that is not a file in Nautilus) into the window to somehow open it
(eg. this is the coolest way to open things in the screenshot app without
having to save them outside a tempfile).

Additionally, I feel it is by far the best metric to determine if you have a
particular application installed without the user having to know squat about
the package management system.

--d