GNOME Workplace: a bright new idea

Hi,
     I have a new idea to discuss from the top of my head about the so-called desktop interface. The idea is mainly derived from Mac Os X Dashboard and the upcoming Windows Vista 'Gadgets'. Please note that the following paragraphs are just my plans, and nothing of that sort actually exists.

    The idea is based on the concept of 'Workplace', the main 'place'(or window) where one works, which is subdivided into workspaces(exactly as GNOME workplaces). The Workplace is the thing that starts up when you log in. It resides benath all your windows(just like a 'desktop') and helps you mange your windows and sort them in workplaces. However all this functionality is provided via small applets called 'Gadgets'(term burrowed from Windows Vista) which can be arranged on the entire Workplace area. Gadgets can be added, removed, customized, moved etc. New gadgets can be, of course, written from scratch and added to the list of already available gadgets.
    Moreover, to help arrange the gadgets on the Workplace, 'panels' will be used(please note that Workplace-Panel is a different concept that gnome-panel). Panels are regions on the workplace which group a set of gadgets, and 'dock' these gadgets within that region. This helps to neatly arrange the gadgets and group together similar Gadgets.
   Using these concepts of Workplace and Gadgets, a highly elegant and productive environment can be provided as a replacement for the traditional Desktop Interface. This Workplace can provide all the functionality of the desktop interface, but it is much more flexible, extensible, easy to learn and use and 'aesthetically pleasing'.

   Please comment as to how you think of the idea as i want opinion and advice before i start this project. Moreover, being a newbie programmer(i am just a 16 year old hacker) i want help and support to go ahead, so please tell me if your interested in helping me.