Re: GNOME Workplace: a bright new idea

Shaneeb Kamran wrote:
I have a new idea to discuss from the top of my head about the so-called desktop interface. The idea is mainly derived from Mac Os X Dashboard and the upcoming Windows Vista 'Gadgets'. Please note that the following paragraphs are just my plans, and nothing of that sort actually exists.

After reading the entire eMail, I don't see a very large distinction between what you propose and using the existing desktop, writing a few new gdesklets (you might want to look these up if you're not familiar with them), and removing the traditional panels. The idea of grouping the desklets into "panels" is something that is new to me, but while a nice feature, it's not the main innovative element.

My question regarding usability is: so now I have to move all my windows out of the way to get to the desklets that provide the functionality that is currently in my panel?

Please comment as to how you think of the idea as i want opinion and advice before i start this project. Moreover, being a newbie programmer(i am just a 16 year old hacker) i want help and support to go ahead, so please tell me if your interested in helping me.

Don't let age get in the way. As I'm sure you know, the internet has the fantastic ability to let people's skills and talents get through without worrying about things that don't matter.

--Pat