Re: SCIM in GNOME [Was: Noticed in passing]

On 7/7/06, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
<quote who="Simos Xenitellis">
> I am not sure what Fedora uses for complex input methods. Does it use SCIM
> or IIIMF or something else?

This appears to be a good opportunity to raise something I spoke to a few
people at GUADEC about - integrating more internationalisation features into
the GNOME desktop suite, and SCIM in particular. The current SCIM GUI is a
HIG-defying mess, and we should be able to get a bigger bang for our i18n
buck by doing some sassy integration in the desktop suite, making more i18n
users (especially CJK users) kick arse.

Simos sent this notice to the gnome-i18n list:
"Hi All,
There is a meeting scheduled for tomorrow Friday, 07.07.2006, at 19:00
GMT, on Freenode, channel #xkbconfig.

Sergey (svu) is organising the meeting to discuss rather technical
issues about keyboard layout support in GNOME.

The agenda includes:
1. GSwitchit API as GNOME-oriented keyboard services. Including GTK
widget, gconf configuration, DBUS server etc
2. Whether gswitchit should go to separate project or become a real
(non-virtual) part of some existing one.
3. Does it make sense to integrate SCIM with gswitchit?

Especially if you know anything about SCIM, please join up. The current
situation is a bit messy with two independent keyboard layout
subsystems. It appears it would be good to expose our users to a single
interface by integrating the two.

Thanks,
Simos
Press Relations Assistant
of Sergey (the #xkbconfig guru)."

So if you have any input (or suggestions for further discussion),
please join the discussions.

Christian