Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

On 7/12/06, Elijah Newren <newren gmail com> wrote:
On 7/12/06, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2006, at 08:56, Johan Svedberg wrote:
>
> > * Jul 12 02:21 Elijah Newren <newren gmail com>:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> So, to start of the discussion, the proposed modules AFAIR are:
> >>  * orca (as a replacement to gnopernicus)
> >>  * alacarte
> >>  * gnome-power-manager
> >>  * Tomboy
> >>  * Gtk#
> >
> > What about libnotify? It was proposed for 2.14 but rejected because of
> > lack of HIG-docs IIRC?
>
> Hmm, I don't remember that, but I hope that wasn't the only reason.
> The HIG's notification section is certainly very poor at the moment,
> but if there's a surefire way to get us to improve it, it's to
> include the technology in the core platform so we have to do
> something about it :)

It was a worry, but the bigger issue was that it depended on libsexy
and lots of people didn't like the idea of adding another widget
library to Gnome when we were doing our best with project Ridley to go
in the opposite direction.

In order to get support for the widgets notification-daemon needs from
libsexy into gtk or Ridley *properly*, GtkLabel, GtkEntry, etc. would
need extensive modifications. libsexy "does naughty things to good
widgets." It manipulates them in ways that ideally wouldn't have to be
done. It works, but I wouldn't feel right trying to get those added to
gtk/Ridley without GtkLabel and GtkEntry becoming more extensible.
Unfortunately, that's a bigger task than I have time for.

So given the things libsexy widgets do, I don't think it's too bad
keeping them in their own library for now. It's a library that most
distros now ship anyway, and does provide very useful functionality.
Notification-daemon and libnotify are practically everywhere as well
too.

I would like to once again propose libnotify and notification-daemon
for GNOME. I'm pretty sure it won't be accepted though because of the
lack of a HIG (which could be written after it goes in, could it not?)
and libsexy (which is maybe a bigger problem, but probably a necessary
evil for now). If that's the case, it's a shame, because this is
useful functionality for a lot of apps. I'd love to find a solution
that most people are happy with.

Christian