Re: Mono/GTK#/Tomboy

On Sex, 2006-07-14 at 10:50 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Murray Cumming wrote:
> >> And while there were almost no objections to Python, there are clearly
> >> many objections to Mono.
> >
> > What objections? So far, the only two objections I've heard are:
> >
> > 1. Performance -- I feel that I've addressed this in other emails.
>
> I don't believe that you've adressed the memory problems, though these are
> not specific to Mono. We maybe can handle one highlevel runtime, but 2
> highlevel runtimes seems to be getting silly.
>
> The argument that we can fix performance later is not going down well with
> lots of users, though it makes sense in many ways. What do we say now to
> the people who say "The sticky notes applet now takes up XX megabytes more
> than before and makes GNOME start up much slower". Those people don't care
> about anybody's favorite programming language.
>
> We want to have it both ways, but we can't right now, so we must make the
> difficult decision between these pros and cons. It's not helpful to
> pretend that the decision doesn't exist.
>
> Also, Tomboy is an applet, intended to replace the commonly-used sticky
> notes applet, so it's likely to take up memory all the time. (I haven't
> had a response to my notes->tomboy transistion questions [1] but that's a
> non-mono issue.)
>
> deskbar-applet has the same problem, of course. When we approved python I
> don't think we necessarily approved this particular use. That was a
> separate thing.

  I don't think deskbar is a problem because:
     1. deskbar is a kind of "power user" tool;
     2. deskbar is not loaded by default; the user has to explicitly
find it and loaded.

  So the fact that python apps are acceptable to the GNOME desktop
doesn't not imply that the GNOME desktop is more bloated.

  Regards,

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.