Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

On 7/14/06, Chipzz <chipzz ulyssis org> wrote:

> They already can.
> Don't like mono...don't ship mono applications.

> None of the libraries will depend or use mono.

This is argument is moot and you know it - this isn't just about libra-
ries, this is also about application/applets etc,

My point was that the only "essential" things are the libraries and
they are not going to become c#.
It was brought up that both the panel and file manager are also essential
But a) they're not
b) We're not talking about rewriting the entire desktop in c#. If we
were, maybe there would be a problem and we would discuss it...but
we're not, and its not likely to happen in the near future.

Also, your statement is false. Beagle uses mono, and it is considered
for inclusion

As joe pointed out, no its not.

(and I really wouldn't call searching 'optional' or non-
core).

I would...I don't search for things very often.

I think that quite frankly this thread has exploded into something
completely overblown. We're not talking about rewriting the desktop in
C#, we're talking about adding one applet. Yes, in the future it may
allow other applications written in other languages, but look, we've
had python in the desktop for 2 releases now, and look how we're
inundated with applications written in python...one...out of 5 things
proposed.

Is the fact that there were so few things proposed a sign that the C
thing just isn't working?

iain