Re: Ideas for Integrating The Document-Oriented Web into GNOME

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 19:42 +0100, Alex Jones wrote:

> > >      3. A favourites system, allowing you to bookmark favourite web
> > >         pages, pictures, sound files, spreadsheets, documents, web
> > >         folders (dav/ftp), etc. all *by URI*. One click should invoke
> > >         the file-open process.
> >
> > I've heard of plans for epiphany to use tracker as an optional backend
> > (maybe as a plug-in) to store bookmarks. This way, it would make them
> > available for the whole desktop.
>
> I've not heard of tracker, but I will look into it. Thanks.

There used to be a favorites:// vfolder that was accessible with
gnome-vfs. And prior to gnome-vfs and the vfolders stuff, there was
a .gnome/apps/ directory, where one could store .desktop files, and
these would show up in the Favorites menu on the panel. When I wrote
Encompass, and orginally added bookmarks support, this is where it
stored the bookmarks. They were just standard .desktop files, with a
Type=Link, and could be used by any GNOME app that handled .desktop
file launching, such as the panel. Also, for what it's worth, this is
basically the same way that bookmarks in IE work. They are just standard
shortcut files in Windows, pointing to remote sites instead of local
files.

I've also brought up several of the ideas you've pointed out, over the
past four to five years. It's good to see someone else bringing up the
same things again. Maybe you won't just get flamed for it, and something
useful will happen. :)

-- dobey