Re: Ideas for Integrating The Document-Oriented Web into GNOME

Alex Jones wrote:
> Try disabling the http URI handler for GNOME.
> <gconf:///desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/enabled>
>
> [...] preferred application with that URI.

I didn't know that this behaviour existed right now. Thank you for the
hint ;-)

>      2. A simple web page viewer, sans-location entry. Something that
>         embeds Mozilla and calls gnome_vfs_show_url on any
>         click-throughs.

Might just be your current epiphany navigator with hidden location bar.
You can do it right now (just edit the toolbar and remove the location
bar), but I don't think you can open every link in a new window (does
not sound desirable anyway, given how often you click on a link in a
browsing session).

>      3. A favourites system, allowing you to bookmark favourite web
>         pages, pictures, sound files, spreadsheets, documents, web
>         folders (dav/ftp), etc. all *by URI*. One click should invoke
>         the file-open process.

I've heard of plans for epiphany to use tracker as an optional backend
(maybe as a plug-in) to store bookmarks. This way, it would make them
available for the whole desktop.

> So, if you read this far, you are obviously very bored or very
> interested. Please let me know what you think.

Some of your thoughts are interesting. I can't say much more right now.

BTW did you file bugs for, say, the totem save menu ? ;-)