Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al

s�6 07 2006 kl. 23:40 +0200, skrev Rodrigo Moya:
> On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 15:32 +0000, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> > Iain * <iaingnome <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > Why do we feel we are able to "bless" a terminal program and a text
> > > editor and a clock, but unable to do the same to a video editor or an
> > > audio editor?
> >
> > There is a huge difference between essential programs (editor, terminal) and
> > specific applications (photo management, music editor)
> >
> IMO, photo management and music editor are more essential apps than an
> editor and a terminal for most users.

When I look at what I have historically used a gui editor for it's for
notetaking, after discovering tomboy I simply stopped using gedit - I
have abiword for word processing and tomboy is an entirely new level of
notetaking that comes very natural to me at least. Of all the people
I've gotten hooked on tomboy, not one has failed to instantly falling in
love with it.

But I agree, was I not a momentum user, I would probably never touch the
terminal either, in fact I make an effort to use it less and less as our
gui tools become more viable solutions for my workload.

I would personally love to see photo and music management tools in the
desktop, it's one of the things I see users around me spend a lot of
time working with. Especially as good digital cameras are getting widely
available this is becoming a vital task for many users.

- David Nielsen