Re: focus! (was Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al)

Rich Burridge wrote:
Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
I am not saying we shouldn't take good ideas etc., from Apple, but lets
try to remember that Apple is basically a failure in the desktop market.

What were you smoking when you wrote this?

Well, it depends on your "success metric" when talking about "failure"

Christian is right in many ways if you are talking about marketshare... their marketshare is in the 3-10% range (depending on who you ask) and has not really shown signs of exceeding that... and most of it is based on a historical market that Windows never really had (creative professionals) so Apple's track record of getting people to 'switch' is even worse than 3-10% might indicate.

There's recent health caused by getting out of the "switch people's desktop" rut and creating something new with the iPod/iTunes/etc. line of stuff. That brand equity has rubbed off on the desktop a bit.

But basically Apple's desktop remains a premium product for certain audiences, with no real chance of having 20-50% marketshare anytime soon.

GNOME could learn a lot here. Both OS X and Firefox illustrate to me that even with near-perfect branding, marketing, and usability, the "switch from A to B in the same category - same benefit to same audience" premise for a product will not be a blockbuster success vs. the market leader. While with something that's really a new category with no clear market leader yet, you get breakout successes - in many cases _despite_ bad usability, low quality, lack of marketing, and other issues.

That's why qualitative/disruptive difference in kind is so much more interesting than quantitative "betterness" along some continuous dimension, if your goal is to have a huge impact on lots of people.

I do think OS X has some qualitative/disruptive differences in the apps Apple offers, but in those cases the apps are sort of boat-anchored by the OS; that is, offering the apps' benefits minus having to switch to OS X would make the apps take off far faster. For example, if iTunes/iPod were Mac-only it would be much less successful.

Anyhow... you could definitely say that OS X is a design success or serves its audience well or has made Apple a lot of money, i.e. in many ways it's not a failure, not really interested in arguing that. But in marketshare terms it isn't the best kind of product for rapid/mass adoption.

Havoc